Friday, September 28, 2007

Could my feet be any dirtier?

I couldn't have been in a worse mood when they told us that our tickets on the Air China flight did not exist.

It had started with a canceled flight out of Eugene, then our e-tickets listed us coming back from Beijing but not going there, and on top of it all, before we could even make it to Beijing with our imaginary tickets, we had to stop over in that wonderful facility we all know and love, LAX. Because some of you may have eaten recently I won't go into the details, but let's just say that the public toilets in the hutongs of Old Beijing smell better, and that's saying a lot.

While we finally got our seats and made the 1:40 AM flight, and even watched a touching story about an opera troupe who falls onto hard times before working their way back to the top while cruising over the pacific, little did we know that our whole two bags did not catch the same flight. Maybe they had imaginary e-tickets, too.

So weary, tired, and sick with the worst head cold I've had in quite a few years, Ted and I decided to brave the streets of Beijing in clothes we have been wearing for I don't know how many days. Even though we stunk (and still do at this point, by the way) it didn't stop our first con from coming up to us right outside of the airport door asking if we wanted a taxi, only to attempt to lure us to the parking garage to his private car.

But after hopping into a real cab, it was time to actually see what this whole China country was about. First impressions:

1. Man, I miss the Oregon air. The smog is thick and you can taste the pollution, although it does do a heck of a job blocking the entire concrete jungle from view, which is nice when you are in the park.

2. I think Ted needs a man purse. I have seen quite fashionable hordes of businessmen in khakis and polo shirts with very expensive leather purses, and to tell you the truth, they put my tacky cheap purse to shame.

3. I love the park. Beihai Park is absolutely amazing. It has everything from roses, water lilies, and ancient architecture to knick knacks, cute old couples doing tai chi, and tango dancers. And weeping willows. Love it.

4. Everyone thinks I'm hot. Ted likes to point out that every other man on the street stares at me, but I think he's just jealous that he's not getting all of the attention.

5. Did I mention that the food was delicious? For 8 bucks (which was more than likely the jacked-up "laowai" price) Ted and I shared tea smoked duck, sichuan beef, and a Tsingtao, which hit the spot after walking around the park for hours.

So for all of you in the fam who want to know, I'm doing fine, I'm staying safe, and yes, I'm having a great time. Despite the smog, some nasty smells here and there, and seeing a few hutongs being torn down just in our first day of travels, I've really enjoyed our time in Beijing so far. The people are very nice, the food is amazing, and what areas of the city are preserved are absolutely stunning.

Because of the luggage situation Ted an I didn't have our cameras today, but I promise as soon as China Air delivers our bags, we'll be hitting the streets, snapping pictures, eating dumplings, and walking them off just as quickly as we shoved them into our mouths.

And a note to Facebookers: apparently the Chinese government does not want us to access the site, so we may not be able to keep in touch that way. If you need to get a hold of Ted or I, just send us an old-fashioned email, OK?

1 comment:

sena_k said...

What an ordeal! At least you're there now, and hopefully your luggage will arrive soon. I'll look forward to seeing the photos if/when the cameras arrive.

And I think Ted would look dashing in a "murse." ;)

I hope you feel better soon!
Love, sena